Course Leader: Dr Dioclecio Moreira Camelo
Home Institution: State University of Maringá - Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Brazil
Course pre-requisites: The students should know the intermediate use of Internet, Browsers and basic use of Personal Blog.
The present summer course proposes the usage of Content Management System (CMS) as an online tool to publish digital content on the web. This course shall allow the student to create and maintain his/her virtual server, to implement a platform of CMS and to publish texts, images and multimedia content on a public internet address.
During the course, the students shall explore professional tools for online publishing, use resources available on cloud computing, and analyse the performance of web pages and web campaigns.
The course begins with a critical review of the role of the internet, the impacts of this computer network on people's lives, and the context in which the content management tools were created. Activities and exercises were designed to assist the students in
creating a website using CMS for digital content, such as Wordpress. This intensive course shall allow the students to explore the publishing and analysis tools available on the web to identify problems and advantages of maintaining digital content on the
By the end of the course, it is expected to create a web space with the support of the CMS. The practices shall allow the students to deploy their website using templates, track the visitors of their websites, and publicize the digital content with the support of
channels of social media. By learning these tools, the student shall be able to publish their content or create the necessary environment to disclose their personal or professional work. With these skill, it is expected to ensure autonomy to publish their digital content and to track the evolution of the published content.
● The Webspace and the real world: Analysis of the history and interventions of technologies in human society;
● Context and tools available for online publishing: evolution of digital systems;
● Construction of digital content using HTML language and publishing of digital images and videos;
● Content management systems: evolution and practices;
● Installation and maintenance of virtual servers for CMS: resources for learning and interacting with cloud computing;
● Publication of online content: practices using Wordpress;
● Analysis of visitors and engagement of campaign using Google Analytics tools;
● Discussion on the role of the internet and behaviour of users;
During the course, the classes shall consider theoretical content and practical activities.
The instructor shall present historical events and discussions about the role of Web and CMS in some popular websites. During the practices, some activities and tasks are planned, such as practices with the HTML language, the deployment of a virtual server
and Wordpress, management of digital content using web tools, optimization of sites using available templates, and tracking of visitors using Google Analytics.
The course shall not consider the work with professional tools of the social media network.
The course shall consider theoretical content about the work on web platforms and some practical exercises on HTML language, management of digital content using Wordpress, deployment of virtual servers for hosting web pages and digital media
(images, texts, audios, and videos). The exercises shall be carried out in groups. At the end of the course, each group will configure its website, use a free web domain (web address) and gain competence to publish online contents.
The classes shall be available on the web platform of Google Classroom. And the evaluation of the exercises shall be carried out through the web.
Required Course Materials
● Operating System: Windows 10 or Ubuntu Linux;
● Free Text editor: Sublime Text Editor;
● Personal web server and platform: XAMPP system or Laragon;
● Photo Editor: Adobe Photoshop (if available);
● Internet Browser: Google Chrome
The above-mentioned systems shall be accessed online, such as Amazon Web Service (AWS) or Google Cloud, and the hosting service for the course using Google Classroom.
The acquired skills shall be evaluated through specific exercises implemented during the course. We expect to apply the following exercises:
- Application of HTML language on the construction of web pages;
- Publishing of internet site using virtual server;
- Selection and deployment of site template to change the visual art of the company, ONG or personal webpage;
- Creation and publication of digital content with the support of the CMS.
- Tracking of visitors using Google Analytics.
Exercises may be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Meeting of the requirements defined for each practical exercise;
- Understanding of the construction process of the taught material;
- Visual and functional organization of the website.