Visiting teacher FAQs

How does Universidade da Coruña contribute to the mobility costs of visiting teachers?

By providing accommodation and meals in a university hall of residence for the whole duration of the course for which a teacher is responsible at the ISS. This is intended as a complement, not a substitute, to any other source of funding the teacher may obtain, most often an Erasmus mobility grant.

Does Universidade da Coruña pay the travel costs of visiting teachers?

No. Any such costs will have to be covered by the visiting teachers, their home universities, or any third-party sponsor. Universidade da Coruña will assist visiting teachers by providing the necessary documents for Erasmus funding when this is available at their home institutions, such an interinstitutional agreement, a letter of invitation, a teaching assignment form, and a final certificate.

Does Universidade da Coruña offer any wages to visiting teachers?

No. Visiting teachers are required to be employed by their home institutions, which send them to A Coruña with a teaching assignment, and remain responsible for their wages and social security contributions.

Do I need my university to sign an Erasmus agreement to participate in the ISS?

An Erasmus agreement is highly desirable when available, although not strictly necessary.

Universidade da Coruña only offers accommodation and meals to visiting ISS teachers. It does not cover any other costs associated with the teaching visit, such as travel expenses and insurance cost, and most visiting teachers obtain funds from the Erasmus programme that cover those costs. Erasmus funds of this kind are channelled through the home universities. It is usually required to have a general Erasmus agreement signed between the universities, plus a specific agreement with the details of the particular teaching visit. We are willing to help visiting teachers get Erasmus funding from their home universities by signing the neccessary documents (interinstitutional agreement, letter of invitation, teaching assignment, final certificate...).

The advantage of an Erasmus agreement is not only the grant itself, but also the legal coverage that it provides for the teaching visit. Visiting teachers remain formally employed and insured by their home universities during the teaching visit. These home universities are responsible for the wages and social security contributions of their employees.

Is an Erasmus agreement strictly necessary? Not at all. Both the financial and legal functions of Erasmus agreements can be replaced by other alternatives. The funding can be provided from other institutions such as the Fulbright Commission, the home university, or even the visiting teacher. The legal coverage can be provided by a bilateral agreement and a teaching assignment signed by both the sending and the host institution even if this agreement is outside the Erasmus programme. Of course, everything is much easier with Erasmus, and that is why it is usually the first option when available.

Do I need to be affiliated to a foreign university?

You will need to be affiliated to a foreign institution that will be responsible for any wages and social security contributions during your teaching visit and that will have to sign your teaching assignment at Universidade da Coruña.
But your home institution needs not be a university. It can also be any other kind of institution, such as a research centre, a public administration, a government agency, a private company, an NGO...

Do I need to be a university teacher to teach at the ISS?

No. The minimum academic requirement is to be in possession of a PhD or equivalent. Some of our visiting teachers are postdoctoral researchers at their home institutions.

How are courses selected?

Courses are selected in a two-stage process in which both the university and students play a role. In a first stage, courses are preselected on the basis of the quality of the teaching programme and the quality of the visiting teachers. In a second stage, preselected are presented to the students, who make their final selection with their registrations.

What is the minimum number of students required for te viability of a course?

The minimum number of students is ten.

What happens if my course has less than ten students?

If your course does not have demand from students, it will have to be cancelled. However, if your course manages to get some students registered, but without reaching the minimum threshold, we may consider the possibility of merging it with some other existing course. In this case, you would have the possibility to teach a larger number of students for a shorter period of time. We would not be able to offer you paid accommodation and meals in a university residence (you would have to pay for this yourself), but this solution would be compatible with your Erasmus teaching staff mobility grant.

Universidade da Coruña
Rúa da Maestranza, 9
15001 A Coruña
+34 981 167 000