It is a monastic church of three naves, transept and apse-aisle, with five chapels surrounding a main one.
Despite the confluence of Romanesque and Protogothic elements, as the apse-aisle, the shrine is among the works of the XIIth century that are in complete Romanesque style. Conserved from this period are the walls with buttresses, transverse arches and barrel vaults, and the main facade, all made of granite.
The apse chapels of semicircular layout are covered with shell vaults or semidomes, on ribs with pendulous keystone, communicating with the apse-aisle/retrochoir with lancet arches. The wooden roof is supported by a framework of round stilted arches, elevated on columns leant on pillars.
Three singular elements are found in the central section of the facade: the reed-mace, the Romanesque rosette with small horseshoe arches and the beautiful frontispiece with the Agnus Dei in the tympanum, four bent columns in the jambs and all within the frame of small semicircular archivolts, decorated with small flowers and fantastic animals.
After a, The foundation of
the Monastery has been thoroughly studied by historians and dated to the
Early Middle Ages, existing documents from 942. The church was erected
on an ancient hermitage thanks to the powerful Traba family, Miguel Pérez
being its constructor and who carved his name and the year 1194 in the
Universidade da Coruña.